Thursday, April 24, 2008

Willow Creek

As I type this I am sitting in the basement of Willow Creek Church in Chicago, IL.

This facility is something to see. I say basement, but I would guess that in the room, there are easily 200 people, and there is another just like it flanking the 3 story waterfall.

This conference (Children's ministry) has been a good one as they have kept Christ at the center. Yesterday's second session was over an hour of worship and we took communion.

One thing that I see in all of this that they put on is one thing; excellence.

They do not stray from doing everything with excellence with God. I agree that when looking at the waterfall(s) and escalators in the mall-like lobby of the main sanctuary, it could be easy to get lost in the awe of it and think of how all of the money could have been spent on something better.

I've tried to look at it from a different perspective. If we are reaching out to friends and family who do not know Christ, we want to create an atmosphere that they can come and learn more about Christ where they do not feel indimidated. They atmosphere should be warm and welcoming and make you feel like you belong here. I got that when I first arrived.

While I agree that there's no importance with numbers and size, way to go in creating a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere, where the people of Willow Creek can bring friends and family to learn more about the Savior.

No comments: