Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The things we will do...

As we get closer to the summer, it looks more and more like we'll be moving to Surprise. With this comes lovely school choices (said sarcastically) The school district in that area is one that I used to teach in, but is one that doesn't have a great reputation for being solid. The problem is that the district is growing so rapidly (they've added 14 schools of about 1,000 each from 2003-2008) that they can't afford to bring in a ton of experienced teachers, so they have to bring in newbies, great for energy, bad for experience.

As I've been looking at schools out there I began to think of the teachers that I taught with and would want my kids to have. 3 immediately came to mind. I started searching and found that all 3 were independently at the same school. As I researched the school more, it's a great school that centers everything around Science, Health, Math and Technology, with my Master's in Education Technology, this really interests me.

I researched how to get in and apparently first-come first served on the day that they begin accepting the applications. I made plans to get up at 3am or so to be one of the first for "list". Now the list was no guarantee, as they don't know if there were going to be spots or not.

With that, I began getting nervous the night before, so I just decided to pack up the Mountain Dew, laptop, chairs, blankets and DVDs and show up. At 9pm. I only thought myself a nutcase as I sat there for 10 minutes alone, as #2 showed up at 9:10pm.

Kate is officially the first kindergartner on the list. We're praying that she's able to get it, especially after my 11 hours in line.

No comments: