Sunday, March 2, 2008

Sad Day

Yesterday was a sad day.

THREE and a half years ago I received one of my most used gifts of all time, a pair of palmetto flip flops as a gift for being a groomsman.

Toward the end of last summer, the palmettos stared sadly at me as they realized that the end was near. I'd nearly worn through the bottom on both toes and there was cut marks all over the bottom from digging out thorns.

As the weather has heated up, I tried to ignore the fact that these sandals were no longer comfortable, as I had an attachment to them emotionally.

Alas, on Saturday we were in San Clemente, CA where they make these 'guaranteed for life' flip-flops called Rainbow Sandals that many of my friends have raved about and sell them at deep discounts. I was forced...ok not forced...but I bought a pair (actually 2).

Last night the palmettos found their way (after a small service) into the garbage can.

Sad day, sad day indeed.

Thanks for the ride palmettos, thanks for the ride.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Sniff. That is a sad day. I wish I could have been there for the ceremony.

It was THREE and a half years ago, BTW. (assuming we're talking about the same flip-flops.)