Saturday, March 15, 2008

Learning

I'm realizing something I think I already knew, but wasn't acutely aware of.

I need to be trusted.

As I've been in real estate, I've noticed that my honesty has cost me many deals. I've talked many people out of buying a house, as I thought it wasn't a good time for them to do it, or a good financial decision. For this and other reasons, I kinda trust myself that I can give unbiased opinions on real estate, knowing that I can set aside my monetary needs for those of my clients (what we as agents are REALLY called to do if you really believe the code of ethics we agree to)

Then there's these clients of mine that I've known for probably 8 years and have recently started working with them. I've spent a TREMENDOUS amount of time and energy with their two daughters, both of which I advised to WAIT when they could have bought, and I could have made a few grand each.

Now that I am working with them, they really treat me as if my work and efforts and investment in selling their home and helping them buy is them doing a favor to me somehow. During the negotiations of the contract, Mr. client actually wrote down a bottom line number that they were willing to take and slid it across the table to me like I was some crooked car salesman that was trying to make a fast buck off of them.

To make a deal work, I cut my commission and was treated like that was what I was supposed to be doing in this situation.

We've been looking at new homes and Mr. Client reminded me today that he's going out of his way to make sure that I go with them to the new home communities so I am eligible to make a commission off the sale, again like it's a favor from them to me.

I'd love to just work with people that trust me and don't look at me as some sleezy salesperson.

Lesson #2 from this is that I'm ready to move on from real estate. It's been good and has provided flexibility and finances during the last 5 years, but it's time for me to move on. Soon. I've been praying heartily for a way out for 2 years, I really hope we're getting close. Not sure how much more I can handle.

Thanks for letting me vent. I know I really have nothing to complain about, God is great and has provided more than enough for my family meeting all of our spiritual and physical needs. Please pray that I can keep that as my focus. Also, that I would have the correct focus on where I am without looking too much at where I'm going.

For the positive spin, I am LOVING the work I get to do with advancing YL in the Surprise area. I've met so many neat people that share excitement and vision for the lost kids of Surprise. I look forward to the next week or so when we have our first committee meeting and begin a fundraising plan.

The "unofficial" plan is to have committee meeting #1 (YL committee is like the board of directors for an area and piece #2 of the puzzle [prayer is #1] to get YL going in an area) be a fundraising strategy meeting and then meeting #2 would be a staff decision meeting. I will seek prayer during that meeting as I hope to be confirmed as the Area Director at that meeting.

No comments: