Thursday, February 21, 2008

Surprise Young Life

We had our meeting in Surprise for interest in getting Young Life started out there.

The meeting was a REALLY positive one and much different that I expected it to go.

Before we talked about areas can be started either with a volunteer team beginning ministry with a committee to support or in can start with a staff member who pulls everything together (well, God pulls everything together, but you know what I mean).

John (AZ director of YL) came out and said that Surprise needed a staff person. Then the discussion went into a very specific discussion regarding finances, what would need to be raised and how soon we'd like to get started.

There was two people there who I think will be valuable leaders that are about my age who asked the question, "How long? 2-3 years?" and one lady (who appears to be a strong fundraiser) who looked appaled and said, "2-3 years, I'm thinking 2-3 weeks!" . We did talk about fundraising throughout the spring and summer and then bringing on staff in the fall.

Now throughout all of this, my prayers that I would be that staff person have been kept quiet, as we didn't want to build false momentum with someone thinking "oh, we have a staff person, let's get rolling". We wanted to make sure that the community support was there before that happened. Tuesday's meeting someone asked specifically if John had someone in mind for the area and "the cat was let out of the bag" :-) that this is why I've been helping and where I am hoping and praying that God is leading our family.

It's very exciting to think that I could be working for YL in the fall of this year! It's also very scary and daunting at the same time, there is a significant amount to raise before this can get started.

Please pray for this process as this seems nearly impossible, but we know that God is bigger than this whole thing.

No comments: