Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Conflicted on conflict

Growing up, and even through high school and college (and grad school) I was never a reader.  I've gone through spurts of reading and really enjoy taking the appropriate time to read.

I've come to realize that good books are dangerous for me.  When I say good books, I don't mean a good Harry Potter story or a nice romance novel, but books that are Biblical and practical for where I am in life (and for my friend Jeff, don't have a picture of the author on the cover).  Recently, I've gotten back into some reading, picking up some books by some of today's popular "theologians" to get their take on stuff and see what the buzz is about.

I'm also continuing my pursuit of a Master's from Fuller and am on my way to Colorado for a week's intensive class, which has required me to read a book with an interesting title by an author I had not heard of.  Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical and it sounded a little hokie to me, but I've quite enjoyed it.  It has some shortfalls I know, but if viewed within the correct context, offers some helpful tips.

Here comes the dangerous part.  Parts of the book talk about allowing God to work through emotion instead of stuffing it back and acting like it's not there. 

For about 7 months, I've had a conflict in my life.  I've done my best to seek wise counsel, pray and be patient through the process.  It's had multiple flare-ups through the time and I've 'known' that more are coming.  Today I received communication from the other person asking to put the incident behind and move forward.

I'm now conflicted by what seems wise advice to proceed with caution, and other wise advice to forgive and forget. 
Part of me would like to just move on, part of me would like to make sure there is accountability.
Part of me wants to trust that this isn't a ploy, part of me can't.
Part of me wants to just ignore it, but I know I can't do that.
All of me desires to be God-honoring in handling this situation.


Thus I am conflicted on conflict.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I think part of being conflicted is that being "God-honoring" is not always "self-honoring", and we have fallen into a trap of thinking that if/when we honor God we always come out looking best in the world's eyes.

Don't misunderstand me, I do think we look great in God's eyes when we honor Him - but it is always for His glory, not ours here on earth, and for me, that is easily confused in my life.

Praying...

Jeff said...

Glad your following the sage advice about never reading a book with a picture of the author of the cover! (unless the author is dead, then its allowed).

I've heard good things about Scazzero, although I haven't read the book myself.