Friday, August 27, 2010

Jack of all trades....

How's that phrase end?

Over the last few years I've been trying to deal with the issues that come with being a "well-rounded" person. Think of it this way. When we see someone that has a different set of skills than we do or maybe is really good at something, we comment, "Wow, they are really good at that, I could never do that!"

I rarely think that way. My comment is, "I wish I could do that as good as them." This haunts me at times;
I'm a guitar player, but not as good as...
I'm a coach, but not as good as...
I'm an area director, but not as good as...
I'm a husband, but not as good as...
I'm a Bible teacher, but not as good as...
I'm a father, but not as good as...
I'm a discipler (?), but not as good as...
I'm forgiving, but not as good as...
I'm a prayer, but not as good as...
I'm a disciple, but not as good as...
I'm a student, but not as good as...

My job requires of me many hats, so I think I get to see these fleshed out more than others do.

As I read and study His Words to us, I see that God has made me in this way for a reason, I am confident of that and feel like I've even been allowed to see a bit of why that is.

I am haunted when I get stuck on comparing myself to others. I've often written it off as being a "male" thing, but realize in my times of clarity that it isn't. I believe that it's the enemy distracting me from what God's created me to be. Instead of living in the 'comfort' of who God has created me to be, and working to remain close to God so the Spirit can change me, I dwell. I dwell on who I 'could' be, on what someone is doing better than me and on what I should be doing instead.

I've done too much of that, it was even the catalyst of this post (I have two friends that are really good bloggers, but I'm not...you get the point).

I texted a friend tonight to encourage him and found that the words I was typing spoke more to me than they ever could to him.

"...the hard part is trying to align your thoughts and emotions with Christ's."

...master of none. That's how it ends. God made me that way for a reason, and I pray that I am able to keep that my focus, even if I don't see that reason.

No comments: