Monday, August 25, 2008

They call me coach.

One of the great joys of YL and it's ministry to kids, is the fact that I get paid to hang out with kids. One of the ways that I thought would be most convenient for me to get to know them is to volunteer coach with the Cross Country coach.

I really didn't realize how much I missed coaching. I have been out there three times already and have been able to memorize all of the kids names.

Another thing. The first day I was out, I figured I'm still in pretty good shape. I stayed with the varsity guys for some mile repeats. "Hey", I thought to myself, "I can still make varsity on this team"

Then I went out Thursday. Wow, it was hot and we ran far. I should say I ran pretty far and they ran really far. Then I climbed into the golf cart with the other coach and met the team back at the school. Running in 110 degree heat is really tough and I was not prepared for it.

Today I went again. I realized my mortality and did more coaching and less running. Still sore, but was able to help the guys finish a strong workout.

I love my new job.

No comments: